Thursday, February 23, 2012

hi i'm andi, and i have hair issues

while i was in utah last weekend at a particularly silly moment, aubry took a series of photos of me and posted them on a certain insta-social network.  the pictures were actually of me dancing, but all i could see was my hair, my awful hair! 

disclaimer: this in no way is a criticism on aubry, she's a good friend to me, and i could recognize that the photos WERE funny. 

but the way i saw them was painful. i feel like i reverted back to my insecure 12 year old self for a minute, and i'm almost 30!

let's get real here: 
there is something you should know about me. i have a lifetime of bad hair stories. tears shed over bad cuts, perms, chemical relaxers, flat iron burns and teasing...little orphan annie.

i was a shy kid due in large part to my hair insecurities.

i've tried it long, short, curly and straight. the better part of my college and early married years i spent showering at night and sleeping in a ski hat.

while i thought i'd outgrown most of my hair issues (i still have my days ie: last saturday), these photos brought back a flood of rough memories for me.

SO, in an effort to shake it off, for posterity's sake, and hopefully comic relief, let's take a walk down old memory lane...shall we?
age 3.
age 5.
age 8.
big acting debut at age 10, and i thought the brushed out extreme side part was a good choice.
probably 11 or 12 here, and do not EVER brush dry naturally curly hair. EVER. oh my gosh do you understand now?
8th grade: first experiment with straightening. a best friend + ironing board + iron , still curly at the roots.
sophomore year: half straight, half curly, can you say IDENTITY CRISIS!
AND parts of it are permed here
1999: 
first serious chop. senior picture.
2000:freshman year of college, let's try REEEAAALLY short.
*i had more people ask to touch my hair with this cut than any other. weird.
2001: undoubtedly the WORST. first "professional" =bad chemical relaxer, and way too short . i hate this look so much i can't even tell you. and i had my first real "boyfriend" with this hair, but he was from canada, so that explains a lot, ha. 
2002: chemically relaxed, and just long enough to straighten with a flat iron. enter ski hat sleeping. the rest of college was something pretty close to this.
2004: wedding day. i thought i'd finally figured it out and i'd have this hair forever.
2006: until we moved to humid north carolina. this is me with the same hair as above only in n.c. crazy right?
2007: i grew it longer and went straight again during
the winter in north carolina.
summer 2007: and then i gave up. stopped fighting.
you win hair, you win!
it's been curly ever since.
some journey huh?

anyways, i guess my point is, i'm overdue on a haircut AGAIN, i'm revisiting the straight idea in my head AGAIN, and i'm still a bit sensitive about my hair.
also, i blame my dad, 

whom i also happen to adore.

it is what it is and it's mine.

12 comments:

aubry. said...

i happen to think your hair is amazing, and i've known you through so many of those formative trial-run years. although, i've always thought you wurked it out like a champ.

and my pictures were really funny.

jeff and jen said...

i love your hair. all the ways you have had it. i wish i had your hair. there I said it. I envy your hair and I will probably go bald one day because I don't like my hair and I want your hair. And only when I am bald will I be happy with the hair I had. Until then, I will ENVY your hair.

Alisa said...

Remember that one time I paid you 50 cents to let me brush out your hair? That was awesome.

MiShelle said...

Age 5 nearly killed me over DEAD with laughter... Oh my my my. I adore your posts. LOVE them. For the record, your college ski hat hair has actually been on my mind for the last week because I just got my hair cut and have been considering doing that do. Only I don't know if I'm brave enough. But I LOVE it. I even made reference to it to Jesse to help him get the visual of what I wanted. SO be glad you look gorgeous with a totally stylish boy cut that few can pull off and that apparently has been in style for several years. Timeless I dare say. In the meantime, I think your hair gives you so much character. It seriously makes you Andi. Like a gorgeous skinny Anthro model with crazy fun hair that has a personality all it's own. A personality that can only compete with the uniqueness of the brain that it sits upon. I mean that:)

katina said...

OH Andy I loved those pictures. I have similar pictures!! (And similar cringing when I look at them). But don't be too hard on yourself...we all looked like that in the 90's! :0) And I LOVE your curly hair. It's amazing!! You're a beautiful lady!

Carrie Richins said...

I've had this long-standing theory that I was actually adopted. Exhibit A is always that I am the only person in my family with curly hair.

I think I was adopted and that you are my real sister.

I have almost all of those same photos, minus the super-short ones (I've always wanted to but never been that brave) and including Miami humidity pictures.

I hear you, sister. And I've given up too.

But you are gorgeous, so there's always that...

Matt, Dyanna and Co. said...

Woa - I JUST talked to your mom about this a week and a half ago. I don't remember how it came up...but I remarked how when I first saw you at church (you weren't in the ward then and we had just moved in) I was literally struck by how beautiful you are. Your hair was what first caught my eye and then commenced the admiration. I LOVE YOUR HAIR. You got style, yo. :)

robin said...

oh how i love this post.

first of all, i just want to say that you are gorgeous. you are gorgeous from the first picture to the last. your face is perfection.

and your hair! i LOVE your hair! i understand that no one appreciates their hair like other people seem to, but seriously, andi, your hair is amazing. and i happen to love the way it is now. i think you letting it be natural and curly and awesome is my favorite.

what's funny, is in those pictures on instagram i didn't even notice your hair! i mean, i noticed it was beautiful, but that's it!

Tenley said...

I love this post as well Andi-chan. I love your hair too. My heart breaks for your heart problems, but you have always been a gorgeous gal.

Lisa-Marie said...

You are a beauty. Always have been, always will be. And your hair is you're crowning glory. The funny thing is, you're the only one who doesn't love it. Isn't that the way it is with most everything? We're always the hardest on ourselves. I'll probably never grow my hair out, but probably should (too lazy.) Mine needs a little of your curl. Life is so unfair!

manasho said...

Andi...
I enjoyed all those pics!! All I can say is grass is always greener on the other side! because I always thought it'd be great to have hair like yours while others complimented on my hair.

Personally I like the one you got in 2007. So cute, but your original hair is a lot cuter!!

Thank you for posting it on FB, that led me to your blog!

Love,

mana

Jennie said...

I'm pretty sure this is one of the best posts I've ever read! You are fabulous!! Straight looks very Parisian on you, but I'm pretty much nutty for your awesome curls!