Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Chocolate Haupia pie


I'm baking! We loved Ted's chocolate haupia pie in Hawaii so much that I baked one from scratch for the first time, shaved the chocolate and made the whipped cream even. Made a little bit of a mess too as you can tell from my countertop, and the shaved chocolate was everywhere, but it was sure Yummy! You all have to try this.
I don't usually love coconut flavored things but this is so good, almost as good as the real thing. When I make it again, I think it would be even better with milk chocolate chips instead of the semi-sweet the recipe calls for. Thanks to Diane for hunting it down.

Chocolate Haupia Pie


Ingredients:
1-9" Prepared pie crust
1 can Coconut milk
1 C Sugar
1 C Whole milk, but you can us skim or low fat
1/2 C Cornstrach
1 C water
7 oz Semi-sweet chocolate
1 1/2 C Heavy whipping cream
1/4 C Sugar
Shaved chocolate, for garnish
Cooking Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350. Bake pie crust until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. In a saucepan, whisk coconut milk, milk and 1 cup sugar. In a separate bowl, dissolve cornstarch in water. Bring the milk mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and whisk in cornstarch mixture until thickened. Microwave chocolate pieces for 1 minute or until melted. Pour half of the haupia mixture into a bowl, set aside, with the remaining half mix with melted chocolate and pour into the bottom of pie crust, layer the remaining haupia on top, (hint use the back of a tbsp spoon to evenly pour mixture out). Cool the pie in the frig for a minimum of an hour. In a mixer, whip heavy cream with the 1/4 cup sugar until still peaks form. Garnish the pie with whipped cream and shaved chocolate. Chill for another hour. Makes 6-8 servings.

2 comments:

Katie Eagy said...

Looks yummy! And I see your Seagull guitar in the background - oh, so many memories! You look stinkin' cute, by the way.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I just got home from Oahu 2 days ago, and we also went to Ted's Bakery and the chocolate haupia pie is wonderful!! I was looking on the internet today for the recipe, and voila, there it was.. so I'll be making the pie as a surprise for my husband to have on Sunday afternoon with the Kona coffee we bought in Waikiki. Hope you had as nice a vacation in Oahu as we did. Regards,
Ramona and HAPPY BAKING!!