Saturday, November 17, 2007

Back from Hawaii







Spencer and I just got back from 10 days in Hawaii. We spent the first 3 in Maui and the rest on the North Shore of Oahu with M&D Marshall. We loved it! I know if I shared all the details you would all be reading for hours, so I'll just list the highlights:
Maui:
The Road to Hana, a black sand beach, an obscure red sand beach, swimming in the seven sacred pools(my favorite part of Maui) handmade leis from the roadside, and snorkeling with sea turtles at the black rock at Kaanapali Beach. Oh, and if anyone goes you have to eat at the Pineapple Grill in Kapalua...unreal food, and the setting is pretty amazing too.
While we were on Oahu, we stayed in a house on the beach in Haleiwa. We loved every minute and played pretty hard, but I'd say the highlights were:
Breakfast on our own private beach every morning, rainbows in the sky almost everyday. Ted's Chocolate Haupia pie...(was it 3 or 4 different nights)? The Triple Crown Hawaiian Pro surf competition at our beach in Haleiwa. Airbrush tattoos in Waikiki(my mother in-law's idea..how cool is that). "Mochis" at Bubbies in Honolulu, apple bananas from the fruit stand. The Kahuku Farms shrimp truck for M&D, i'm scared of shrimp, but the atmosphere was so fun. The strawberry guava tunnel on our hike to Laie Falls, a pizza picnic at sunset on Sunset beach. Watching the surfers on 15ft waves at the Bonzai Pipeline, taking private surf lessons from Uncle Bryan on the north shore. Finding the beach where they film "Lost" and then seeing the crew cars and trailers across the street...never saw the actors though. Finding the "Other's" village which is actually a YMCA camp on the north shore, and eating at "Lei Lei's" at Turtle Bay.
It was amazing to go and so sad to leave, but we're gearing up for next year and can't wait to go back. I've dreamt of surfing the past two nights, and am so excited to get back in the water! I think it's my new thing...if only I could find some waves...in Colorado...

I've posted a few pictures, but I'm also working on a slide show because there are so many. I'll put it up when it's done.
-aloha

2 comments:

Alisa said...

So awesome. Can we come next time? Great pictures, but I wouldn't expect anything less.

The Layman Family said...

oh how fun! I remember you talking about how you guys were going, and you did! That sounds like a dream vacation. I can't wait to see the pictures!